Thursday 11 July 2013

Loving what I've got


"I won't always cry, Mummy, when you leave the room,
and my supermarket tantrums, will end too soon.
I won't always wake, Daddy, for cuddles through the night, & one day you'll miss having a chocolate face to wipe.
You won't always wake to find my foot is kicking you out of bed,
or find me sideways on your pillow, where you lay your head.
You won't always have to carry me in, asleep from the car, or piggy back me down the road, when my little legs can't walk that far.
So cherish every cuddle, remember them all, because one day, Mummy, I won't be this small"

Today I read this little poem and my heart broke a little. I spend almost half of every day trying to get Matilda to go down on her play gym or in her jumperoo without crying. I never really think about the fact that one day she won't be a baby, or a child even.

I know she's only four months old, but already she's changed so dramatically without me even really comprehending it and I hate to admit it but the newborn stage is just a distant memory of feeding and sleepless nights.

I feel so sad that its taken me reading this poem to realise that the housework really doesn't matter and that actually if she wants to be cuddled all day then that's alright.

I've had four months (well longer really) of well meaning advice on the importance of not 'spoiling' her by cuddling her all day and I've just realised that she's going to grow up and I really should be making the most of the cuddles now whilst I still can!

So if you call me and I don't answer or my text replies are slower than usual then don't panic.. I'm probably just busy loving Matilda (or crying at the fact that she's growing up too quick).



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: